Feature report

Georg Wilckens durandal@nfinity.de
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:58:19 +0200

Hello hackers,

a few days ago I upgraded from gnucash-1.4 to 1.6 and I was very
surprised about the great new features. Thank you very much. It cost
me quite some time to compile the libraries I was lacking (about 27
IIRC) but now I am hopefully on the bleeding edge on almost
everything. So maybe I can give something back by reporting some
random undocumented features (namely bugs) I have stumbled over; some
things might be the fault of libraries (gnome-print, etc.), maybe you
can tell me...

gnucash version: 1.6.1

1. Diagrams

   When I generate say an asset piechart, the writing is always cut
   off on the right (about 1/2 of a character). When I start gnucash
   from another machine using X forwarding, this does not
   happen. Strange...

   When I print the chart to postscript, the resulting file has the
   diagram at the very top of the page, clipped at about the middle of
   the diagram. The clipping shows up at the preview already.

2. General Ledger

   On hitting the "Report" or the "Print" button, gnucash always
   crashes with a segfault (gnome error-message-box).

3. Sorting of transactions

   Many of my transactions are numbered. When I enter a series of say
   10 transactions from one day, sometimes gnucash seems to get
   confused and stores later transactions (with higher numbers) above
   some earlier transactions from the same day. This happens on
   default sort order. If I change the sort order to go by transaction
   numbers, this problem goes away but the balance on the right is not
   adjusted accordingly (the final balance might not show up on the
   bottom). This is probably not a bug, but handling this differently
   seems more convenient to me.

I'll be glad to look at the source for some of the problems, but I am
not familiar with it yet. If you need anything else (library version
numbers, core dumps, traces, blood samples, ...), I'd be happy to
provide it.

Kind regards,
       Georg
--
No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats --
approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less.