[post-1.6] i18n ambiguities

Damian Ivereigh damian@cisco.com
04 Jun 2001 16:38:22 +1000

On 03 Jun 2001 23:28:19 -0700, Dave Peticolas wrote:
> On 03 Jun 2001 22:18:59 +0200, Christian Stimming wrote:
> > The ambiguities usually are not a problem if the words are used in a
> > phrase. But for the messages with single words we need to come up with a
> > distinction between different meanings. E.g. instead of the string
> > "Transfer" we would need to use the string "verb:transfer" and
> > "action:transfer". (Actually we would need a third string, like
> > "creditTransfer:transfer" because of an additional meaning of the noun
> > "transfer" -- see the glossary.)
> >
> > Is it possible to switch to extended strings like this? AFAIK the affected
> > words are:
>
> It is, but we should add some infrastructure for doing
> this. Right now, the C code just uses a constant offset
> to 'leap over' the prefix.
>
> dave

Is English not an appropriate localization? What I mean is can't English
just be another langauge in which the translations are:-

action:transfer  -> transfer
creditTransfer:transfer  -> transfer

I always feel rather embarrassed that everyone has to translate from
English and not the other way :-)

Damian

--
Damian Ivereigh