GLib RFC: Improve checking provided with --enable-mem-check

Helmethead hoshem@mel.comcen.com.au
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:06:09 +1000

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 04:03:10PM +1000, Ben Stanley wrote:
> The addition of this information allows a more meaningful 'check_heap'
> operation, which may actually walk the heap and check that all the
> doubly linked list structure is intact, and that the magic numbers
> guarding the front and back of each block are intact. It would also
> check that the blocks of memory in the freed block list have not been
> overwritten. I would like to be able to invoke this operation from the
> debugger, but I am not yet aware of how to do so.

At least here I might be able to contribute, so I think :)
Functions can be invoked from gdb by calling them in an expression eg. the one passed to the print command.

p check_heap()
Will print the return value of check_heap (lovely) but check_heap will hopefully spew a bunch more stuff to stdout or whatever.