gnucash 1.5.98 qif import

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:45:15 -0500

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 01:06:05PM -0700, Dave Peticolas wrote:
> I don't know about guile-1.4, but on my guile-1.3.4 system,
> it takes almost 3 seconds to load src/scm/report-list.scm.
> That is over half the time I wait before the splash screen
> comes up! So I think you are wrong here.

report-list.scm doesn't create any report objects.  It just defines
the different types of reports.  I was talking about the loading of
the code in ~/.gnucash/books/foo.scm that actually causes the reports
to be created.

If you were talking about trying to avoid loading the code that
defines what reports are, I misunderstood you.  That would be a fairly
major departure from our approach now, which is to load all the
data-independent Guile code needed by Gnucash at startup time.  We
would have to rewrite all the reports to somehow define them (so that
they appeared in the report menu) without actually evaluating the
(define) forms inside the report Scheme files.  Pretty tricky.

I'm very surprised that the loading is so slow with 1.3.4.  Gnucash
doesn't take nearly that long to load for me; and if the splash screen
doesn't come up while stuff like that is loading, what good is it?
Maybe we should shuffle things around to display the splash screen
sooner.  That won't make things load faster, but eye candy helps pass
the time.  Maybe a progress bar for startup?

Honestly, gnucash loads fast enough for me that I thought a progress
bar would be a waste of time, but if people are going to be using
1.3.4 and it's that slow maybe we should rethink that.

b.g.