gnucash 1.5.98 qif import

Kevin Finn kevinfinn@mediaone.net
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:15:47 -0500

Bill Gribble wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 01:06:05PM -0700, Dave Peticolas wrote:
> > I don't know about guile-1.4, but on my guile-1.3.4 system,
> > it takes almost 3 seconds to load src/scm/report-list.scm.
> > That is over half the time I wait before the splash screen
> > comes up! So I think you are wrong here.
>
> report-list.scm doesn't create any report objects.  It just defines
> the different types of reports.  I was talking about the loading of
> the code in ~/.gnucash/books/foo.scm that actually causes the reports
> to be created.
>
> If you were talking about trying to avoid loading the code that
> defines what reports are, I misunderstood you.  That would be a fairly
> major departure from our approach now, which is to load all the
> data-independent Guile code needed by Gnucash at startup time.  We
> would have to rewrite all the reports to somehow define them (so that
> they appeared in the report menu) without actually evaluating the
> (define) forms inside the report Scheme files.  Pretty tricky.
>
> I'm very surprised that the loading is so slow with 1.3.4.  Gnucash
> doesn't take nearly that long to load for me; and if the splash screen
> doesn't come up while stuff like that is loading, what good is it?
> Maybe we should shuffle things around to display the splash screen
> sooner.  That won't make things load faster, but eye candy helps pass
> the time.  Maybe a progress bar for startup?

     Another data point - I got inspired and did some debugging in
main.scm where a lot of the other scm files are require'd in.  On my
machine it takes ten seconds of load time to get through
report-list.scm.  This is measured by printing the current time before
and after '(gnc:depend "report/report-list.scm")', using guile 1.4.
Digging deeper, the largest load times seem to be register.scm (~3
seconds) and transaction-report.scm (~5 seconds).  Like Dave said, these
aren't times to actually create and display the reports, because I don't
have any reports said to run at startup.  This is just time to complete
the gnc:depend for each report.  I haven't had as much luck determining
exactly what goes on within these reports; apparently you can't just
stick (display "...") anywhere inside a (let-syntax ... ) that you'd
like.  Commenting out register.scm and transaction-list.scm from
report-list.scm causes gnucash to load about twice as fast for me.

     Maybe I'll take a look at what it would take to pop up the splash
screen a little earlier in the process.

--

Kevin Finn
kevinfinn@mediaone.net