gnucash bugs

Gregg Morris greggrm@home.com
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:09:52 -0700

Dave Peticolas writes:
 > On 06 Jun 2001 23:57:17 -0700, Gregg Morris wrote:
 > >  I think I have a bug in gnucash.  When I save a new transaction it
 > >  always gets saved on the line before the last transaction.  For
 > >  example, a transaction dated 5/25 is the last one in the register.  A
 > >  new transaction dated 6/6 is saved.  Instead of saving on the last
 > >  line, after the 5/25 transaction, the new one gets saved on the line before
 > >  the 5/25 transaction.  Then I have to delete the 5/25 transaction and
 > >  re-enter it in order for it to save to the correct place.  I am
 > >  sorting by date.
 >
 > I'm not sure what is causing this. If you save and restart is it still
 > out of order?

No, saving and restarting doesn't help.  The only way I can get it to
save in the proper order is to take the last item, delete it and
re-enter it.  A lot of the time this behavior is not problematic.
However if I first enter a deposit and then some withdrawals, the
withdrawals jump up above the deposit and make reconciling on a day by
day basis difficult.  For example, Today I started out with everything
sorted properly by date and number.  Then I entered a deposit and some
checks.  Deposit dated 6/8 saves to the last line of the register.  A
check entered after that - #1884, dated 6/8 - gets saved to the line
above the deposit (in this case, both have the same date, so it isn't
a big deal).  A check dated 6/6 gets saved correctly by date, but out
of sequence by number - check #1883 is saved on the line before two
other existing transactions on 6/6: an electronic transaction and
check #1882.  Check #1888 gets saved on the line before check #1886 -
both checks dated 6/10.

The only way I have found to fix this is to delete the last
transaction that is out of order and re-enter it.  Then it seems to
sort correctly.  I am not sure what "Standard Sort Order" should look
like, but I would like to sort by date first and then number.  Most of
the time this behavior is more of a minor annoyance than a problem.
It becomes a problem, however, when I call my bank once per week to
check my account and do a running reconciliation.  If there is a
deposit out of order by more than one day, then it is really confusing
to try to figure out what my balance really is.  That was the state of
things last month when I wrote this bug report.

I noticed, the other day that my gnucash directory was getting rather
full with .log and .xac files.  It was brought to my attention because
I was getting stale .LCK files for a couple of days.  I deleted a
couple of months worth of old files and deleted a couple of stale .LNK
files as well.  Now, today, it seems that transactions are being
sorted by date.  It would be nice to have them sorted by date and
number both.  At some point it would be a nice option to automatically
purge the old log files after 45 days or something.  I make my own
backups weekly (including the log and index files), so they are of
little use to me after, say, a week or so.

 > > The other thing is that checks that are marked 'c' in the register are
 > > automagically changed to 'y' when I go to reconcile.  This is
 > > undesirable behaviour for me because I check with my bank several
 > > times per month to see what checks have cleared.  In the last release,
 > > the cleared checks stayed 'c' in the reconcile window so I could check
 > > them against the statement.  Now, I have the harder task of figuring
 > > out which checks have *not* been posted to the statement and
 > > un-checking them.
 >
 > Ah, ok. This was supposed to make reconcile faster, but apparently
 > it doesn't help everyone :) There won't be any more 1.4.x versions,
 > but I will add this option to a later version of 1.6.

Thanks for that.  I'll live with it meanwhile.  I am grateful for
your work.  I really don't want to bother with installing WINE or
VM-Ware just so I can use Quicken.

Regards,
Gregg
--
One friend in a lifetime is much; two are many; three are hardly possible.
Friendship needs a certain parallelism of life, a community of thought,