Modularization

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:50:48 +1000

I have read Bill's suggestions, and I thoroughly support
the concept of increasing modularity.

There are, however, a couple of related issues I'd like
to raise . . .

1)	Are there self-contained parts of gnucash that we
could turn in to libraries, enabling their easy use in
projects that don't contain any other parts of the GnuCash
codebase?  One possible example is the gnc_numeric code -
relatively self-contained IIRC, and it might be useful for
external projects.  Similarly, the HTML-generation scheme
code may well be useful for projects that have nothing
to do with gnucash (though it's perhaps a little less
self-contained).

2)	One of the difficulties of using guile as an
extension language for GnuCash is that the GUI is implemented
in C.  So, if you want to get information from the user
for your funky scheme script, you have to code up some
C and g-wrap it.  Is this always going to be the case?

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

Go You Big Red Fire Engine
-- Unknown Audience Member at Adam Hills standup gig