Comments about 1.4

tobias.blomberg@home.se tobias.blomberg@home.se
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:54:35 +0200

Hi all!

I have been running GnuCash for a year now to handle my personal
finances. It has been no glitches affecting the correctness of the data
and I am very satisfied.

The only thing that have bothered me is that it has been very slow to
run over the network (10Mbps LAN), displaying on another X-server.
Operations that is instant when displaying on the same computer can be
very slow when displayed on another computer. For example opening the
register window, tabbing from the Description field and recording a
transaction. These operations can take as long as 5-7 seconds each.
There is nothing wrong with my network. An FTP test gave a transfer rate
of 980 kB/s.

I have also had some thrashing (swapping VERY much) while running
GnuCash. Had to reset the computer...

GnuCash was running on a PII 350, and displayed on a PII 300 laptop.
Both with 64Mb of RAM.

Maybe these glitches have been fixed in 1.6.0. I have not had time to
find out yet. I found some additional problems in 1.6.0 though. See my
next mail for these.

Best regards,
Tobias