plugin/module architecture proposal for gnucash-1.7

Kevin Finn kevinfinn@mediaone.net
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:09:56 -0500

Bill Gribble wrote:
> >  - Will each module provide its own g-wrappers, I assume?  Maybe there
> > needs to be a mechanism or a policy to avoid collisions in that
> > namespace.
>
> That was actually one of my motivations :) The gigantic "gnc.gwp" file
> bugs me because of its unweildyness and unmaintainability.  Lots of
> smaller g-wrap files will make it easier to work more towards complete
> coverage of the relevant APIs.
>
> I'm not sure where namespace collisions would be a problem here.  Do
> you have an example problem case?

     Maybe I do, and maybe I don't.  The guile namespaces will be local
to the modules, but I could see how you would have C functions in the
C-side modules which conflict between modules.  Unless there's something
in dlopen(), etc. that handles this - I'm not too familiar with that.
Although I guess this wouldn't necessarily be a problem restricted to
the g-wrap interfaces anyway; maybe just a consistent module naming
scheme would be enough?

--

Kevin Finn
kevinfinn@mediaone.net