Dependency hell redux

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:11:22 -0700

Bill Gribble wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 10:00:21AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> > Being a plain-vanilla kind of guy, I might have to wait until Red Hat 7.2
> > to use GnuCash 1.6; not sure I want to let Ximian stomp all over my
> > system :-(
>
> There will be a release of gnucash-1.6 on CD before too long (watch
> this space for more news) which will optionally install non-standard
> dependencies in a local playground that only gnucash can see.  That
> way you can run gnucash with up-to-date libraries without stomping on
> your system.

This will be a Good Thing.

Too bad http://lwn.net/2001/0614/bigpage.php3 didn't mention this
(although perhaps they're not into covering stuff before
it's released).

lwn mentions that GnuCash depends on 60 (!) other libraries.
Is that figure correct?  It seems pretty high.

The chances of, say, Red Hat 7.2 actually getting the right
versions of that many libraries seem pretty slim offhand.
Might be a chance for someone to do a little testing with Rawhide
as it develops, and educate Red Hat about what they still need
to update?

- Dan