Pie chart reports

Richard Braakman dark@xs4all.nl
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:59:42 +0300

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 02:55:42PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> True.  I don't know the answer to this.  OTOH, what exactly
> does a negative balance on an expense account really mean?
> I'm not sure what it means.  How can I make money from an
> expense?

I think I've had a use for that once.  I got reimbursed before I
actually spent the money for something.  I normally record
reimbursements as negative expenses because they show up better
that way.  I could have the reimbursement as income, but then
if I buy something huge for the company, it will obscure my
real income and expenses in the pie charts.

If this premature reimbursement happens with a rarely used
expense account, or if it's just large, then the expense
account can be temporarily negative.

My opinion is that if that happens, the negative value is best
left out of graphs where it isn't representable.

--
Richard Braakman
Looking for a job writing free software.