online balance info

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
25 Jun 2001 17:26:20 -0400

The problem is that when clearing a transaction you have an idea of
what transactions are already there.  If you have multiple no-info
transactions, there is other information to match them to existing
transactions already entered without assuming that both no-info
transactions (which look the same) transact to the same account.

For example, you have two no-info transactions in the QIF file, but on
the same day as transaction #1 you have a transaction for the exact
same amount already entered into Gnucash, earlier, by hand.  Similarly
you have pre-entered transaction that matches transaction #2 based on
amount and date.

OTOH, trying to use that same no-info transaction to ENTER a
transaction is much more difficult.  At that point you have to know
that the peer account is.  And you have nothing which which to make
assumptions.  You cannot assume that similarly-marked no-name
transactions belong in the same account.  And you can't ask the user
to choose a default, because it might be wrong.

Let me give you a real-world example from my personal experience.  I
have two mortgages from the same company, and I use NetBank's online
bill-pay service to pay both bills every month.  My monthly statement
has two entries:

7/1/01	MORTGAGE - ONLINE PAYMENT	$1000
7/1/01	MORTGAGE - ONLINE PAYMENT	$300

Obviously I want to keep track of these mortgages separately (they ARE
different accounts after all).  If I pre-enter these transactions into
GC, then sure, you can easily match the former transaction with my
first mortgage, and the latter transaction with my second mortgage.
However, if you are using a QIF file with these transactions to enter
information into Gnucash for the first time, how is Gnucash supposed
to know that these two transactions belong in two different accounts?

The answer: it can't.  It needs some amount of user intervention, and
it cannot effectively automate the process without (IMHO)
turing-complete tests or heuristics.

That's the problem with QIF entry without enough information.

-derek