initializing currencies ??

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:26:52 -0500

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 11:18:48PM -0700, Dave Peticolas was heard to remark:
> On 26 Jun 2001 00:56:51 -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > What's the right way to initialize the list of iso currencies?
> > When I just call gnc_book_load() from a stand-alone C program,
> > it gets a parse error, because ISO4217::USD is not defined.
> > That's because the xml file format doesn't store these currencies,
> > and also because the engine doesn't initialize any values for them
> > (the initialization is done with scheme code when running gnucash).
>
> Short term, the easiest thing to do would be to stick the
> currencies in an XML file and load that file once. I believe
> Jim's medium-term plan is to move the currency definitions to
> just such a file and use that instead of the scheme file.

OK, that fits in well with other changes that I'd need to
get the http backend to work.  I need the ability to merge in partial
information from xml chunks, such as a list of transactions,
(assuming that account info has been set up by reading a different
chunk of xml), or a partial list of prices (assuming the commodites were
previously set up), etc.

--linas