New Canadian source for price quotes

Paul Fenwick pjf@cpan.org
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:59:35 +1000

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

G'day everyone,

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 01:07:20AM -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:

[snip]

> The maintainer of finance::quote added a method to the latest version
> which returns a list of all the quote sources. This could be used
> to generate the list of quote source in gnucash at runtime. Since
> only the short names of the sources is returned, the full name of
> the source would not be available. It would be better if
> finance::quote returned a hash of with the keys pointing to the full
> name of the source.

I'll summarise briefly some ideas that were floated with rlb over=20
e-mail a little while back.  It was generally decided that we'd like
to get out:

	* Sources (as per can be passed to fetch()).
	* Whether a given source is guaranteed unique, or may have
	  failovers available for it.
	* Human readable names for each source.
	* The module(s) which implement each given source.

So the data structure we'd like to get out would look something like this:

{
	asx =3D>
		{	name    =3D> 'Australian Stock Exchange (failover)',
			direct	=3D> 0,
			modules =3D> ['Finance::Quote::ASX',
			            'Finance::Quote::Yahoo::Australia']
		}
=09
	asx_direct =3D>
		{	name	=3D> 'Australian Stock Exchange (direct)',
			direct	=3D> 1,
			modules	=3D> ['Finance::Quote::ASX']
		}

	# etc etc
}
	=09
This means it's easy for us to find methods that will not be subject to
failover, can have nice human-readable names, and can tell easily who's
providing what methods.

Doing so will probably require a few changes to the Quotelet
(Finance::Quote:XXX) modules, and I'm going to have F::Q enforce
the direct attribute.

I'll discuss this a bit more on the F::Q development list shortly.
Short on time right now.

Cheers,

	Paul

--=20
Paul Fenwick <pjf@cpan.org>         | "When I see an adult on a bicycle,
Senior Consultant                   |  I have a hope for the human race."
Obsidian Consulting Group           |      -- H.G. Wells

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv--