Gnucash password protection and encryption

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
01 Mar 2001 15:56:51 -0500

I agree that Gnucash should not have builtin local-file encryption.

Since Unix is a multi-user environment, you can protect the files by
having different people log into different accounts.  One thing we may
want to do is make sure that Gnucash data files are mode 600 by
default (or perhaps give the user an option to set the mode bits, with
the default being mode 600).

If the data files are mode 600, then only the owner can modify them.
This will protect you from other non-root-users on your system.  If
you are REALLY worried about, say, the police coming and reading your
files, then you should use something like CFS, as suggested, to just
encrypt the whole disk.

Note that this argument does break down if you use a network file
system.  In that case, you probably want to move to a network-based
client/server system with on-the-wire data encryption, and then you
can use username/password (or other authentication) to prove to the
server that you have access to the files.  But this is a ways off from
now.

-derek