Gnucash password protection and encryption

Jan Schrage jan.schrage@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 16:22:07 +0100

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 10:20:49AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Jan Schrage <jan.schrage@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de> writes:
>=20
> > Well....this at least is only true in theory. There's hardly anything
> > that's easier than getting root access on a machine you've got an
> > account on, especially on a standard linux box.  You should never trust
> > any user not to be able to read and modify your files on any OS.=3D20
>=20
> For the personal user of Gnucash I don't really think that this is a
> reasonable threat against their home Linux box.  Honestly, I'm not
> worried about my wife or roommates trying to break into my machine.

As for that matter, my wife and I have just separated and I can tell you
she's up to no good. I used not to worry about that, but shit happens.
Of course, she doesn't have the experience for a break-in ;->=20

> I agree that it's more likely a threat against someone's Linux box at
> work.  But I don't expect Gnucash to be used in that context.  Hense,
> I stand by my statement that Gnucash itself need not do the encryption
> for standalone files.  The user can run CFS if they want to protect
> their data.
>=20
I use it at work. But I do use CFS, too. Looks like we agree on the
matter of encryption. It's not really needed for gnucash. I rest my
case.

-Jan

  Jan Schrage				schrage@ita.uni.heidelberg.de
                                    http://jack.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de