Use of complete GList functionality? Change to GSList?

Rob Browning rlb@cs.utexas.edu
17 Mar 2001 11:42:48 -0600

Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> writes:

> I'm trying to make the structures look as similar as possible, but
> in the end I don't think I'll be able to avoid this.  I suppose I'm
> already going to have to do this anyways, but there are some places
> where it would be nice to not have to do the duplication on _both_
> sides.

While I sympathize with your desire to avoid redundant work, I also
agree with Dave that in the end, just using the engine to build the
data structures you need on the relevant end is probably going to be a
win in the long run.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the extra alloc/copy time that
you might go to some lengths to try and avoid will be dwarfed in
general by transmission times and other engine/computation/didplay
related operations.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of making things efficient when
possible, but I as a general rule, I think maybe we'd best optimize
where it helps most and keep other things as straightforward and easy
to maintain as possible (though I'm not claiming that I always follow
my own advice :>).