"views" of reports as main window

James LewisMoss jimdres@mindspring.com
22 Mar 2001 11:27:32 -0500

>>>>> On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:48:56 -0600, grib@gnumatic.com (Bill Gribble) said:

 Bill> So then the "main window" just becomes a gtkhtml widget that is
 Bill> always displaying a view or report.  There would need to be
 Bill> some way of doing "content management" for the main window;
 Bill> Quicken does it with a sidebar history/contents list, which
 Bill> would be easy enough.  Then we would want the ability to split
 Bill> a view or report out of the main window into its own window.

 Bill> So what do y'all think?

I think it's closer to my ultimate front page for gnucash than the
pane system. [1] It might be nice to have a choice of front pages.
The choices being:
1) Simple account list
2) pane layout
3) gtkhtml layout
4) something else

But at the same time we need to make sure we want to support each or
something like it in perpetuity so whatever we choose we have to make
sure it's a good thing. :)

But this sounds good.  The only concern I have is that reports in
narrow side columns may be too small to be useful and the complexity
of supporting >1 columns will be just a waste of effort.  (Assuming it
is much effort.  I'm not whether it is or not.)

Like many things the pane layout's weakness is also it's strength in
this case.

So how much effort is this?

Jim

Footnotes:
[1]  Ultimate front page: gnome canvas type setup where you can add
     reports as objects to be displayed in the canvas and then move
     them and resize them free form.

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!
@    http://jimdres.home.mindspring.com |  Linux is kewl!