CVS update: gnucash/src/scm/report (fwd)

Conrad Canterford conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:13:43 +1000

linas@linas.org wrote:
> I was thinking the other day on how to implement an a/r a/p register.
> One thing that the register needs is a per-transaction 'date due'
> field. (yes, there are other possible sol'ns but bear with me).
> Well, we could hard-wire the date-due field into a new account type a/r
> a/p.  Alternately, we could specify the register layout with kvp data
> associated with the account.
> --linas

All,
Can I say, I really like that idea - we have the KVP frames so why not
use them. Maybe an account-attached KVP meta-frame (called, for example
FIELDS) that contains details on what fields and KVP data that account
expects to have displayed.
Has a number of advantages (off the top of my head):
- can be user-editable (maybe).
- is flexable and extendable.
- can be used even with current registers (like, for example, I never
use the memo, action or reconciled fields and could (maybe) turn them
off).
- taking it a step further, could lead to a generalisation of the STOCK
and MUTUAL account types to just being normal registers with fields
turned on that are normally turned off.
- extending the theory even further, could be set to allow
user-configurable sizes for the different fields (and maybe different
options - maybe permit time to be displayed in the date field for
example, show short or full account names in the account fields, and
many many others).
- plus what Linas said.

Disadvantage:
Would require a rethink of how things are set out on the register (and
possibly a significant rewrite,particularly for my more ambitious
suggestions).

Dammit, have I hope I haven't just volunteered for something.

Conrad.
--
Conrad Canterford  (conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au)
Water Sprite Pty Ltd   |  Watersprite Pty Ltd: