import wizzard currency or security type

Christopher Browne cbbrowne@localhost.brownes.org
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:40:56 -0600

On 28 Mar 2001 09:49:05 EST, the world broke into rejoicing as
Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>  said:
> Gnucash currencies and securities (aka commodities) are stored with a
> reference to the commodity within a namespace (the "type").  The
> "ISO4217" you see is the namespace (type) for national currencies (as
> you guessed).  There are a number of other namespaces as well,
> generally for the popular stock exchanges.  There is also a namespace
> called "Fund", which is where you would put your mutual funds and trusts.

That's well and good; the only problem there is that throwing "ISO4217"
in users' faces isn't terribly warm and fuzzy.

ISO 4217 is nice to put as a footnote in the documentation ("By the way,
the currencies are specified as per ISO 4217"), and perhaps as a variable
name.  But as a label, for the user to choose from, it pretty much sucks.

It might be better to change druid-commodity.c to have ISO4217 appear
as more of an "afterthought" than a primary thing users need to be
familiar with.

I never want, ever in my life, to hear a conversion that involves the
phrase:
  "How silly of me; you meant ISO 4217, not 4216..."
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/resume.html