Begining of Java Servlet Inteface

Christopher Browne cbbrowne@localhost.brownes.org
Mon, 14 May 2001 15:31:21 -0500

> On 14 May 2001 11:32:23 -0400, Chris Shenton wrote:
> > cbbrowne@hex.net writes:
> >

> > > I would suggest the thought that "multiuser" be considered completely
> > > synonymous with "using SQL DBMS."  The database provides an interface
> > > that supports many concurrent connections; that supports multiple
> > > users without needing to think very much about it.
> >
> > Need to ensure the code to access the DB uses some kind of
> > database-neutral API layer so we don't get locked into
> > <insert your favorite DB>.  Would be nice if it could talk to MySQL,
> > Postgres, Oracle, or whatever the user/customer has.
> >
> may I suggest you to use libgda, the data access layer used in the gnome-db
> project (http://www.gnome-db.org)? It contains a nice library which
> provides the database-neutral layer you're talking about, and currently,
> PostgreSQL, MySQL, ODBC, Oracle, Sybase, TDS (for Sybase and MS SQL
> Server) are supported, as well as an embedded DB system (distributed by
> default with libgda) which uses gdbm as the backend, but which supports
> a subset of SQL, and, more important, allows the creation of tables with
> more than one field (that is, no limitation to key-value pairs as in
> gdbm and Berkeley DB.
>
> It is still missing some things, but we're working on adding them,
> specially the support for XML queries, which will allow clients to send
> commands to any DB backend in a portable way. This will provide a 100%
> DB-independent layer.
>
> ok, enough publicity, but, well, I think you might want have a look at
> it.

That's probably a good choice if we're talking about code written in C as part
of GnuCash.

But the context at present is that of "Servlets" written in Java; I somehow
doubt that gnome-db has been set up for use with Java Servlets as of yet.
Furthermore, it would seem more sensible to look to JDBC as the
interoperability library for Java, as that's rather more widely deployed in
the "Java world."
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://vip.hyperusa.com/~cbbrowne/resume.html