Java Servlet progress

John jklar@projectplasma.com
Wed, 16 May 2001 15:46:35 -0400 (EDT)

On 16 May 2001, Dave Peticolas wrote:

> I guess auto-completion of transactions is out with a web interface?
> Or maybe you could do it some other way (a list of the most recent,
> maybe?)

Interactive page updates are possible via DHTML although the target fields
should be layers (DIV).  My small collection of personal projects are
tested compatitble with NN4+, IE4+ and Mozilla.

Normally all server-side state changes are transmitted via a page load.
If the server can generate async events (eg. another client makes a
change) the page code must "poll" the server.  Typically a helper
frame is set up to reload periodically.

I've written a small Java applet that establishes a TCP connection to the
webserver that the page came from.  That connection can be used by the
server to send a small amount of information to the client.  I've used it
to indicate that a page needs to be refreshed.

Word of warning: the connection is not encrypted.

http://www.projectplasma.com/tattler