dependency hell

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
19 May 2001 00:22:25 -0700

On 19 May 2001 09:07:01 +0200, Klaus Ridder wrote:
> Some time ago, it also took me quite lonk to install gnucash.
>
> I guess it would help to the following on the web page:

We are working on a web page to help people install.

> -1- Download Gnucash and all necessary rpms
> Full download of gnucash and all necessary rpms, if you don't have Gnome
> installed. Attention: it's a big download!

This is much, much more work than you realize. Multiply the number
of gnome packages by the number of distributions out there and keep
in mind that new versions are being released quite often and you
start to get an idea of the problem. Having every application
webpage maintain an up-to-date list of all gnome packages for
every distribution is a very wasteful and error-prone duplication
of effort. That is one of the real values of aggregators like Redhat,
Debian, SuSE, et al, and of updating services like Debian's apt and
Ximian's Red Carpet (I realize I'm mixing commercial and non-commercial
things here, I'm just considering them from a narrow point of view).

We will try to mitigate the pain of upgrading, but don't expect it
to be super-easy until it is packaged in your favorite distribution CD
or available as a simple upgrade from Ximian or some other service.
There is a cost to living on the bleeding edge :)

dave