1.{56} dependancy list

Alan Orndorff dwarf@solarisresources.com
Sun, 20 May 2001 19:48:32 -0700

>  Alan> Berkeley_db Glib Gnomelibs Gtk Imlib Orbit
>  Alan> readline tar textutils  gcc guile
>  Alan> make sed texinfo gal-0.5.tar.gz
>  Alan> ghostscript-fonts-std-6.0.tar.gz libunicode-0.4.tar.gz
>  Alan> GConf-1.0.0.tar.gz gdk-pixbuf-0.10.1.tar.gz
>  Alan> gnome-print-0.28.tar.gz libxml-1.8.11.tar.gz
>  Alan> Guppi-0.35.2.tar.gz ghostscript-7.00.tar.gz oaf-0.6.5.tar.gz
>  Alan> bonobo-0.37.tar.gz ghostscript-7.00jpeg.tar.gz
>  Alan> gtkhtml-0.8.3.tar.gz popt-1.6.2.tar.gz
>  Alan> control-center-1.2.0.tar.gz ghostscript-7.00libpng.tar.gz
>  Alan> libghttp-1.0.9.tar.gz slib2c7.zip g-wrap-1.1.9.tar.gz
>  Alan> ghostscript-7.00zlib.tar.gz libglade-0.16.tar.gz
>
> These go away with a final dist: autoconf bison flex gettext libtool
> automake cvs.
>
>  Alan> The list is for Solaris not Linux, and
>
>  Alan> no, I'm not joking.
>
> hmm. ghostscript?
>
> Most of the above are basically the result of using a nearly complete
> gnome environment.  The only exceptions I see are tar, textutils, gcc,
> make, sed and texinfo.  I'm not sure on the ghostscript thing.
>
> If we require gnu make, sed, textutils and tar unless it's an
> automake/autoconf caused problem we should look at removing this
> requirement.

As stated previously, Solaris ships with CDE as the desktop and not Gnome.
Sun does ship Gnome on a seperate cd, which I've recently learned that you
can download an ISO image of, IF you like where Sun sticks things on the disk
AND you know how there compiled.  I know neither.  Doing it the hard way
takes everything that was listed, and at least I know how it was compiled, and
if errors come up, I have a better chance at changing versions, recompiling
with different configure switches, etc....

Most of the GNU tools are to replace Solaris supplied versions as they do not
work well while building Gnome.  without ghostscript, gnome-print does not
install properly and that leads to other problems with things that are dependent
on gnome-print.  I sent Dave an email a while ago about reports and he had no
ideas but pointed me to look at some packages, finally figured out that gnome-print
wasn't going to work properly until ghostscript was working properly.

thanks for the response,
alan

--
Solaris Resources (Ultra/Intel)