price-db storage via BackEnd?

James LewisMoss jimdres@mindspring.com
22 May 2001 19:03:23 -0400

>>>>> On 21 May 2001 14:45:50 -0700, Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com> said:

 Dave> On 21 May 2001 15:46:49 -0500, Rob Browning wrote:
 >> > I think the "automatically delete configuration when you delete
 >> > the data file" problem is a red herring. It really wouldn't be
 >> > hard to write a script to go through all the files in the config
 >> > directory and remove the ones that refer to non-existant files.
 >> > Do that when you start gnucash & problem solved.
 >>
 >> This seems really dangerous.  What if the volume in question isn't
 >> mounted?  What if the user has just "mv'ed" the file?

 Dave> Ok, that's true.

 >> > I have several problems with storing configuration data in the
 >> > data file. First, configuration data is generally treated
 >> > differently than "real" data in applications. Configuration data
 >> > is generally saved automatically when you exit, and sometimes
 >> > whenever you make a change. That means saving configuration data
 >> > should be relatively fast. Storing it in the XML file means you
 >> > have to save everything just to save the config data.
 >>
 >> To me, this is just an implementation detail, there's no reason we
 >> can't have a more DB like backend.  Even with XML, we could fix it
 >> up to have fast sectional re-writes, especially now that Jim has
 >> migrated us to be able to generate the tree piecemeal.

 Dave> Are you sure this is possible? How do you just write a section
 Dave> of data to a file when that section has a different length? I
 Dave> thought you had to just rewrite the whole thing.

Could split the file into parts.  Could increase the size of the file
sections and seek between sections (this'd still require some complete
rewrite occasionally).

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!