Forcasting Graphs/Reports

Josh Sled jsled@asynchronous.org
Tue, 22 May 2001 21:43:44 -0700

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 04:31:27PM -0700, Dave Peticolas wrote:

| On 22 May 2001 14:26:51 -0700, chad@chadlavy.com wrote:

| > In the past, I started using gnucash and stopped because there is a feature in MS Money that I am addicted to. MS Money takes into account all of your recurring payments and deposits and generates a report/graph that forcasts you account balance however many months into the future that you wish to see.  I've found this to be indispensable when planning purchases so that they won't run my account over budget down the road.
|
| Basically you are talking about budgeting here, right?
| Currently, there is no support for that, but several
| people are interested in working on it in the next
| development cycle.

If you wanted the simple report and are anxious to get started, you could
start on implementing it off of either CVS, or the recent 1.5.96 version.
1.5.x is in freeze for 1.6, so it can't go in now, but the code is there
and waiting to be ammended...

If you want a more functional budgeting tool... indeed, some of us are
itching to work on that post 1.6.  I've been making large strides toward
a related feature of scheduled/recurring transactions, which will go
in post-1.6.  After scheduled transactions are mostly settled, I plan to
devote my full, partial time to budgeting...

The -devel archives are at
http://www.gnumatic.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel, and
you can find some archives of budgeting discussion in the late-November
through early-January timeframe.  I hope to re-start that discussion in
a couple of weeks...

Cheers...
...jsled