new libtool re-builds libraries at install time?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
12 Nov 2001 22:53:04 -0500

Bill Gribble <grib@linuxdevel.com> writes:

> That shouldn't be true if you got the ltmain.sh from CVS.  I think you
> did, but you should check. On my machine, a 700 MHz Athlon, it takes 14
> minutes to build and install gnucash from a make clean. If your build is
> taking hours, my guess is that we aren't using the same libtool.  The

Well, part of the problem is that I'm building into an AFS directory
off on the network, and due to the max_cmd_len bug I reported in
another email, it's trying to write out hundreds of MB of extra
useless data over the network.

> behavior you're seeing sounds most like the stock libtool 1.4.2
> behavior, which is strange because you don't have libtool 1.4 installed,
> do you?  and the ltmain.sh in CVS is not the stock 1.4.2 one.

Nope.  I've got 1.3.5 installed, and it's using the 1.4whatever that's
in CVS.  But as I mentioned, the problem appears to be arrising from
max_cmd_len not being set.

> The ltmain.sh from CVS is 156412 bytes.  You have to re-configure to
> build the libtool script.

-rw-rw-r--    1 warlord  mit        156412 Nov  7 17:40 ltmain.sh

> A quick sanity check:  look at a generated .la file, say for example
> src/app-file/libgncmod-app-file.la.  How big is that file overall, and

-rw-rw-r--    1 warlord  mit          5251 Nov 11 10:38 libgncmod-app-file.la

> how long is the line that starts 'dependency_libs='?  With my CVS tree,
> that file is about 3k, and dependency_libs is about 20 80-column lines
> of text, and no duplicated libraries.  When we were seeing very long
> libtool link times, there were very, very many repeated libraries, like
> '-lm -lm -lm -lm -lm -lm -lm -lm -lm -lm -lm -lm -lm" and other such
> nonsense.

It's pretty long..  I don't want to cut-and-paste it here.  However,
a quick look does not seem to have duplication.  It has a lot of long
-L entries, and many libraries have both -lfoo and /path/to/libfoo.la
entries.

At this point I am 99% sure the problem is the libtool iteration due
to max_cmd_len.