code in cvs is broken

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:27:48 -0600

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 07:03:40PM -0500, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> Personally I find debugging the C to be much easier.  Then again
> I'm very familiar with gdb, but no such equivalent exists
> for debugging guile.  With guile the only debugging tool it
> "output", which IMHO isn't very useful.  Doesn't help you
> single-step through the code, either ;)

No, I don't mean that ....  My nightmare debug sceanrio is C code that
calls guile code that calls c code that calls guile code to initialize c
structs with who knows what.   I'd rather just have no layers in the c
code at all ... once you're in c code, you never leave it again.

> -derek, who is trying to track down an apparent memory corruption bug.

I guess libefence didn't help.

Note that gdb allows you to 'watch' memory locations for read/write
access.  But its *extremely* slow -- like hours for a few cpu-secsonds
real time.   I dunno if its broken, or is designed for use with a hardware
debugger behind it.

You might try a stunt of unmapping the page which you think is getting
corrupted, and then seeing who faults on that page access.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>