code in cvs is broken

Rob Browning rlb@defaultvalue.org
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:29:15 -0600

linas@linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> In other words, its up to gnucash-the-app to initialize the engine,
> instead of asking the engine try to initialize itself.  You don't need
> a parser for this, you don't need a file format, you need very little
> new code.  Just load the currencies into it, instead of asking it to
> load itself up.

Right, I noticed your suggestion before, and from a structural
standpoint, it's pretty clean.  I'll keep it in mind when I'm working
on the fix, though I don't know if we'll get that far this time
around, and I'll need to think about how that would interact with
non-gnucash-the-app uses of the engine.

> p.s. Yes, I agree with you about XML.  I'm thinking that if the people
> who are designing XML only knew Scheme or LISP, then XML wouldn't be the
> abortion that it is.  This is a clear case of standards committees
> causing great damage because they don't have broad enough experience &
> background in programming.  Oh wait, that's right, I forgot, XML is
> another great Microsoft "innovation".   Gosh, I suppose that means that
> I should be thankful that it's not a closer match to Visual Basic. ;-()

You might also want to check out comp.lang.scheme (though it can be
humbling) -- there was a discussion there recently about XML parsing
in java, scheme, and C.  As I recall, C was the fastest, but scheme
(via bigloo I think) was only 1.4 times slower, and *way* less hassle.
Java's performance OTOH, was painful.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu