RFC: refactoring window-register as widget-register + containing window

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
22 Nov 2001 23:28:30 -0500

> I feel that even in the main window-register we have to much space being
> used. This results in a menubar that stretches across the screen. It
> would be nice if we could either cut the size of the toolbar space used
> down and/or have a toolbar that only showed text for items where it's
> not clear what purpose they have. I have attached a file showing an
> example of the sort of icon/text combination I'm thinking of.
> (toolbar.png) In this example obviously the print icon itself is clear
> enough to not need a text description (I used that as it was the easiest
> icon to attach text too). This shows how we could use a text description
> beside the icon to minimise screen use and leave other icons whose
> purpose is clear without text descriptions. Tooltips can also make the
> icon's purpose clearer.

I have no idea what most of those icons mean.  OTOH, so long as
there is a popup help I can live without text description.  But
for naive users I think having the text under the icon is a Good Thing.

Could you at least have the option to turn the text on/off?