RFC: refactoring window-register as widget-register + containing window

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
25 Nov 2001 21:22:07 -0500

Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com> writes:

> > Yea, but you already need to have a list of cell locations; just keep
> > a pointer to the list and viola, you always have your references. :)
>
> Pointer to the list? You are thinking too low-level here.
>
> Something needs to have a list of cell locations, but that
> is implementation detail that the user-level model shouldn't
> know about. The user code should be written at as high a level
> as possible so it can be written in C or Scheme, preferably in
> a declarative style where that is possible.
>
> The goal here is to eventually specify much of the layout
> and model in scheme.

Sure, you define the model and layout at a high-level, but
you still need to pass that down to the low-level.  And it's
the low-level code that needs to make the callbacks knowing
the list of data types.  So I don't see the problem, here.

You pass the layout/model list down into the lower-level and
you keep a copy of it.