Linked Transactions, or "how to tell an invoice was paid"?

Olaf Faaland ofaaland@home.com
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:07:42 -0800

> Derek said:
> Assuming this is a reasonable approach, how do you present a UI to
> link transactions?  Or is this not something that we really need?  Do
> we care?  Perhaps we can just use the 'reconciled' field to show that
> an invoice has been paid?  Then we can find unpaid invoices by:
> show all "invoices" with reconciled == 'n'

You may have already thought of this, but that the fact that a payment has
been applied to an invoice does not mean the invoice's balance is
necessarily 0.  Partial payments happen a lot.  Your query is still going to
have to do a lookup of each linked payment and total them to determine the
balance.  Or, you'll have to maintain a field in the invoice that keeps the
payment status in some form - "paid/not paid", or "unpaid balance", or
something.

-Olaf