budgeting

Conrad Canterford conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au
Tue, 02 Oct 2001 12:03:20 +1000

nigel_gnucash-devel@unos.net wrote:

> On  1 Oct, Daniel Hagerty wrote:
>>I think part of the problem in this discussion is that people are
>>coming from completely different angles and the nomenclature is
>>extremely confusing.

Especially when we start to talk about "categories" which also get used
by other popular accounting programs. However, I think the nomenclature
should wait until we know the full set of what we are describing.
Otherwise we risk inventing names for things which will be inappropriate
in their final use but which will "stick" because they have been used
for so long in this discussion. People just need to be clear with what
they mean.

> What do the rest of you think?  Why does a casual user use a budget?

Me as casual user: I don't use gnucash for my personal finances at the
moment. However, my budgeting consists of:
- I have a rough idea how much per year I spend on various things. I
divide that number by 26 (I get paid fortnightly). I then allocate that
much per pay to each of those things.
- My groupings are fairly high-level: I have a "car" grouping ("auto"
for the Americans) which includes sub-categories of "repairs",
"insurance", "registration", and "fuel". I rely on the costs being
spread out over a year to make all this balance and to reduce the number
of times I have to "borrow" from another grouping.
- If I were to gnucashise this, I would want to know how much money is
in each grouping. This could mean negative numbers (money borrowed from
another unspecified grouping). Having some way to automate/monitor the
budget vs. reality to ensure that my rough ideas were correct would also
be really usefull.

> Why does a business user use a budget?

Well, I must confess that I don't. Our income is too variable to make a
budget practical in any useful detail. Australia has started to use the
term "microbusiness" for businesses like use, because the things that
affect us a very different from the things that affect the upper end
small bussiness (we do ~$150,000 per year turn-over, some small
businesses do up to $1.5M turn-over). When we are turning over $1.5M, I
possibly will be able to say "We will spend $x this year on advertising,
$y on stock, $z on...". I cannot do that at the moment, because it is
almost completely dependent on what mix of products we sell, and when we
sell them.

Having said that, it would be really useful to be able to say "I spend
2.5% of my income on rent, %n on credit card fees, %x on ...", (most of
these are reasonably fixed percentages) and at the end of it all, have
some figure showing how much money is left over.

Whether this can be done within the budgeting framework or not, I don't
know.

Conrad.
--
Conrad Canterford  (conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au)
Water Sprite Pty Ltd   |  Watersprite Pty Ltd: