Multicurrency and 1.6.3

Daniel Egger degger@fhm.edu
03 Oct 2001 01:46:21 +0200

Hija,

first of all I'd like to thank you for this great application. Some
time ago I decided to go for a bit more organised life and gnucash
helped me a lot with that.

Now for the problems: :)
Most european countries have been switching over to the Euro in some
areas and as such it's really a shame that it's non-trivial to use
GnuCash for that; it's unpossible in any EU country to pay stock
shares in the old currency but there seems to be no easy way to
simply tell GnuCash that the stocks are handled in Euro but the
money is transferred from or to a DEM account; going over a special
account to switch currencies is not only complicated and timeconsuming
but also errorprone.

I also have no idea how to tell the "Portofolio" script to use EUR
instead of DEM by default; it always jumps back to DEM though there
is not a single stock account in this currency (there's no way to
by shares in DEM anymore....)

And another thing that really bothers is that GnuCash cannot add
up different currency accounts in one subfolder; it will will only
add those up which have the currency of the parent and thus makes
it impossible to get an overview except by generating all folders
twice for Euro and DEM (but this also disturbes the view a bit); what's
the point in having two columns (Euro and DEM) when the single accounts
cannot be summed up anyway?

Another thing that would be really handy is an builtin calculator;
because of the above mentioned deficits I always had to recalculate the
single entries of my wagecalculation into DEM since I have been paid
in DEM but everything was companyinternally calculated in EUR to
be able to get an overview of the single items and the paid taxes
in general.

Nevertheless GnuCash is really usefull and once the Guppi gets up
to speed it shouldn't be too hard to impress other people with some
nice demonstrations.... :)

Please CC me in case of a reply, thanks.

--
Servus,
       Daniel