Test report: Scheduled Transactions

Josh Sled jsled@asynchronous.org
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:21:05 -0700

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 12:49:35PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
| Richard -Gilligan- Uschold <uschold@cs.ucf.edu> writes:

| Agreed.  I'd like to be able to have gnucash determine the principal
| and interest amounts for me, so I don't have to.  In particular, I
| _always_ pay-down my mortgage.  I don't want to have to think about
| the amount of principal/interest for each payment; that's what
| computers are for!

The current SX stuff contains support for ad-hoc variables and simple
formulas  [+-/*()]; when entered into the credit/debit cells, they will
be brought out as vars to be bound in the SX-creation druid.

One obvious area of extension to this [the "functionality I wasn't
planning on implementing for a while"] was to have support for functions
in there.. such that you could say credit:"principal( a, b, c )" or
debit:"loan_payment( foo_loan )" or something.

However, the UI is currently not quite "right" for even the
simple-formula-containing SXes; and there's a whole host of issues [UI,
code-wise, &c] related to this...

| But I'm not sure how you get one split to automatically create a
| second split.

I don't think that that's the right way to go; why not just create the
final picture, here, as the SX?

...jsled