Bug in QIF importer

Conrad Canterford conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 23:49:15 +1000

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Conrad Canterford <conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au> writes:
>>For the enlightenment of all, the entire qif file (it was a trivial proof-of-concept test) reads:
>>!Type:Bank
>>D10/10/01
>>T1605.75
>>PDEPOSIT
>>^
>>That's all. I do not believe this should be creating a subaccount, and
>>as I say, I suspect it is related to the fact that I'm using a ':' in my
>>account names.
> This looks fine...  Two questions:
> 	1) What is the name of this file?

Combank-testing.qif

> 	2) Which questions do you get as part of the import and how do
> 	   you answer them?

1. Get asked for the filename - I click "select" and select the file
from the list. (This, BTW, always kicks the Accounts window back on top
of the qif import druid window. A bug, but a cosmetic one only). Then
click "next".

2. Date format screen. Select "d-m-y" from the dropdown box, click "next".

3. Select default qif account name screen. Enter "Water Sprite main",
and click next.

4. Comes up with the dialog to select more account or continue. click
next (having enough trouble with just one account at the moment thanks...).

5. Get window explaining about accounts. Nothing to do here, so click next.

6. Get dialog to match qif account to gnucash accounts. Correct match is
displayed. Click next.

7. Income and expense category description dialog. Nothing to do, so
click next.

8. There are no qif category names in the file, so that column is blank.
The Gnucash account column contains "Unspecified", and the New column
has a tick mark because I've been deleting the Unspecified account when
I tidy up after each test. Click next. (Actually, the text at the bottom
of this screen says that the next thing was currencies, which is not
correct).

9. Payees and memos descriptive screen. Nothing to do, so click next.

10. Payees/Memo's matching screen. DEPOSIT is in the Memo column.
Unspecified is in the Gnucash Account column, and the new checkbox is
ticked. Since I'm only testing I do not change this, and just click next.

11. Enter currency for new accounts screen. Default (AUD) is correct in
this instance, so just click next. (The text at the bottom of this
screen says that the next screen will be about Stock and mutual funds -
since there were none in this file that screen was presumably not
displayed, but the text needs to be smart enough to know this).

12. Finish screen. Just click finish.

Thats it. It then goes and creates a new account Asset/Cash/CBA/CBA:
Water Sprite main trading account. Note that I did not enter or select
the account name anywhere - it was the default.

Also note that importing this file into an account that does not contain
a ':' does work correctly (as I assumed it would, since I'd expect the
complaints to have been rather obvious otherwise... :-)).

I repeat - either the qif importer needs to be smart enough to handle
this situation and/or the Account creation stuff needs to disallow the
separator character in Account names.

Conrad.
--
Conrad Canterford  (conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au)
Water Sprite Pty Ltd   |  Watersprite Pty Ltd: