autoconf question for 1.6.4?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
26 Oct 2001 14:16:30 -0400

I spent about 6 or 7 hours last night and this morning fighting with
Gnucash 1.6.4 to get it built.  I can at least start gnucash and I get
a window displayed :)

Is there any particular reason that configure has to look for the zvt,
bonobo, and oaf libraries?  The configure script claims that they are
required by guppi or gtkhtml -- but if so wouldn't the `gnome-config`
output for guppi or gtkhtml actually return the appropriate
information?

The reason I'm asking is that I don't have bonobo on my system, but I
was able to successfully build/install Gnucash 1.6.4, and it appears
to run fine.  I haven't gone through a complete test of tests, yet, so
I don't know if I'm missing some functionality.

But from a builder's perspective, the test seems a little unnecessary.

Another thing is that the distributed environment I'm working in does
not lend itself to adding new packages to the OS.  In particular, I
don't have root access.  I was able to compile gnome-print and guppi,
but I had to install them in separate locations.  Unfortunately GNOME
doesn't like this (in particular, gnome-config doesn't like this).

-derek

PS: The AC_CHECK_LIB also fails if it can't find the library in your
default compiler path, even though `gnome-config --libs zvt` actually
returns valid information.