GTT: Announce & Question

cbbrowne@ntlug.org cbbrowne@ntlug.org
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:40:00 -0500 (CDT)

Linas Vepstas
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 01:30:01PM -0400, Paul Lussier was heard to remark:
> >
> > In a message dated: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 12:21:16 CDT
> > Linas Vepstas said:
> >
> > >This is an announcement & a question to the developers:
> > >
> > >GTT -- Gnome Time Tracker -- New version
> > >
> > >Instead of banging on GnuCash, I've recently turned my attention to
> > >Gtt, the Gnome Time Tracker, and added a bucket-full of new features.
> > >These should be appearing in 1.4.0.99, and (a bit cleaned up) in the
> > >final gnome-1.4.
> > >
> > >The goal of doing this was to provide a way of gathering time-billing
> > >data and tying it to gnucash, so that contracting invoices (e.g. at
> > >law offices) could be easily prepared.
> >
> > I thought the idea was to use evolution for this type of thing, since
> > evolution can also be tied to a database backend?  Have things
> > changed, or dit gtt seem more readily available than evolution at
> > this point?
>
> Yow!
>
> The version of evolution that I have has nothing like this in it,
> and I wasn't aware that they have anything like this planned.  I
> thought I'd contacted a suffcient number of gnome people, but maybe
> not. I was thinking of exporting the time-tables to the evolution
> calendar ... but hadn't really thought it through ...
>
> Um, I certainly don't want to waste my time creating something
> that will be obsoleted by ximian in short order .... is there
> someone at ximian whom I should contact ?? (besides Miguel, I guess?)

This doesn't _sound_ like the sort of thing that Evolution would have as
an intrinsic function.

It might make sense to use some dialogs _from_ Evolution to (say) select
dates, but that's not the same thing as adopting Evolution itself.

And the notion of having this generate partial GnuCash XML files that would
get imported to be _added_ to an existing DB as opposed to _replacing_ the
DB sounds extremely appropriate...
--
Christopher Browne
<http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/>