rpc server

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:44:39 -0500

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 09:23:29AM +1200, Rob Brown-Bayliss was heard to remark:

> > If you just want a multi-user version, the current sql backend provides
> > that, although its 'beta' -- seems to work, at least for me, may have
> > bugs or scalability/perfrmance problems for large datasets.
>
> Hi, What I am really after is a way to insert and extract data from a
> python app.

Oh, why didn't you say so.

The 'right way' to do this would be to use swig to autogenerate python
wrappers to the gnucash engine.  We already use swig to generate perl
wrappers, so at a basic level, swig for python should work fine.

(see src/optional/swig)

That said ... to really be usable, there is a problem (at least with
perl) that I never 'got around to' fixing:  some of the most important
gnucash functions return g_list's (glib linked lists). These need to
be converted to perl (or python) arrays. swig doesn't know about
the g_list type natively.

Writing the glist-to-perl-or-python-list wrapper is more than an afternoon.
Its possible/likely that someone else has already done this for some
other app, somewhere, but I have never searched for it, so I don't know.
But if its been done somehwere else, (and its gpl'ed), then we can pirate
that code and use it in gnucash.  If you find it, let me know.

--linas