OT: Gotta give MS a SMALL amount of credit

VW Fan vw_fan17@yahoo.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:39:33 -0700 (PDT)

> Message: 3
> Subject: Re: gnucash-devel digest, Vol 1 #854 - 2 msgs
> From: Chris Lyttle <chris@wilddev.net>
> To: gnucash-devel@lists.gnumatic.com
> Date: 23 Sep 2001 17:46:36 -0700
>

> > > FWIW: This is the problem with GNOME and most of GNU/Linux in
> general.
> > > They have NO CONCEPT of release managment or standards.  This is why
> no
> > > one is adopting GNU/Linux on the desktop in corporate america.  We
> can
> > > laugh at M$ all we want, but they do this fairly well.
> >
> > Nah, that's bullshit.  You weren't there when they were coding win95.
>

> Its even more bullshit that no one in corporate america is adopting it.
> I remember when win 3.1 was around, a lot of people stuck with plain old
> DOS on the desktop cause it was such a piece of shite and unstable as
> hell. The only reason MS is there now is that they were able to tie in
> their office suite to pre-installs by computer manufacturers of thier
> OS's. MS's grip on the desktop has nothing to do with stability or
> release management or standards. In fact MS has routinely taken
> standards and bastardized them for their own gain. Maybe you're right
> that Linux will never have the desktop share that MS has, but I'll take
> Linux any day over MS even with having to upgrade libs, etc to get what
> I want to run.
>
> Chris

I'm as anti-microsoft as the next guy. Actually, no, that's not true. I'm
WAY more anti-microsoft than the next guy. Just ask my mom. She can't tell
you anything about what I do except "computer programming", can't identify
anything except monitor, computer, keyboard and mouse, but she knows of my
intense dislike for Gates & co.

I DO have to give them credit that WinWord 6.0 (ca. 1992, I believe),
written for 3.1, still runs on 98 SE, narry a hiccup.

Mattias