Transaction voiding

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:36:02 +1000

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 16:16:59 Dave Peticolas wrote:

> I guess the real question is what should the visibility of a voided
> transaction be? Should they show up in regular queries with their
> original values? Putting in voiding splits could still let the
> original splits affect queries & reports. A more agressive technique
> might be to set the amount/value of voided splits to zero and store
> the original values in kvp data. That might require less code to
> be modified to check for void transactions.

I think that zeroing voided splits is a good idea, in terms of reducing
the amount of code we have to modify to make it work, and it makes
sense aesthetically IMHO- from an accounting perspective a voided
transaction has no value.

As to how we might mark transactions void, could we add another
reconciliation status - "voided"?  That would require minimum modification
to the engine, and a voided transaction *doesn't* need to be reconciled
with
a bank statement so it largely solves one instance where voided
transactions
would otherwise be a special case to be dealt with.

What do you think?
Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

Go You Big Red Fire Engine
-- Unknown Audience Member at Adam Hills standup gig