[ADMIN] Hints on slowing spam volume to lists?

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 00:17:57 +1000

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001 23:50:18 Bill Gribble wrote:
> On Sat, 2001-09-29 at 01:35, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> > How about bouncing ALL mail from non-subscribers, perhapse with a
> header
> > giving instructions on how to subscribe?
>
> That's not very productive, especially for gnucash-user, because lots of
> times non-subscribers just want to report a bug.
>
> Also, bouncing spam is a bad idea, because it lets the spammers know
> there's a live person at that address.

Hmmm.  I was going to suggest a system that auto-replied to non-subscribers
giving them a one-shot email address to send their message which is open
for
48 hours.  (I believe systems like this exist, but don't know where).
Most
spammers don't give their real email address anyway, so they'll never know
if they got a hit or not.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

Go You Big Red Fire Engine
-- Unknown Audience Member at Adam Hills standup gig