XML size (was: no subject)

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
03 Apr 2002 10:18:43 -0500

Bill,

This is yet another reason I was to use embedded SQL..  You get
the ability to dump/reload your data via a text editor if you
so choose.

Just like with the kernel _source_, the user is changing a
representation of the data file.  It is not changing the actual data
itself (the binary kernel).  A user who goes to change the kernel has
to run it through a data processor (the compiler) to put it into a
state where it can be used by the application (the computer).

Similarly, I propose the same process for here.  The user who wants to
manually adjust their data first converts it into a format they can
use (db_dump), edits it, and then converts it back into a format that
the application can use (db_restore).

How is this any different?

The application should be able to store the data in any format it so
desires in order to make data access speedups and other tradeoffs.

So long as there exists a way to convert back-and-forth between that
format and an human format (e.g. SQL) then what is the issue?

Note that I _have_ been arguing for using SQL; just _embedded_ SQL.

-derek