XML size (was: no subject)

cbbrowne@hex.net cbbrowne@hex.net
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 12:00:13 -0500

> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 04:34:12PM +0200, Thomas Spahni was heard to remark:
> > I would like to see the SQL backend opened to allow a users choice for the
> > database package. My personal preference is MySQL.
>
> someone needs to write a driver foir mysql and/or odbc
> it probably won't be me ...
>
> > I know that there was a discussion about using MySQL a long time ago but
> > in the meantime MySQL has got transactions (for certain table types) and
> > is extremely stable.
>
> Last I looked, postgres was factors of 2x-4x faster & doesn't have
> stability problems ...
>
> A naive port of the postgres backend might run into other troubles with
> mysql: the postgres backend uses stored proceedures to compute balance
> subtotals & some other miscellany; I don't think mysql supports stored
> proceedures (???)  Of course, the mysql backend could handle balances
> differently, but that would require actually thinking (as opposed to
> a cut-n-paste of postgres->mysql api).

MySQL does not presently support stored procedures.  Some sort of
support is predicted in the future, but it's not there yet.

Personally, I'd think that if the need is for something "formally
embedded," that the database system of choice should be Berkeley DB.

Consider that:
- It supports transactions;
- Supports having multiple "tables" within a database;
- It is consciously designed to allow static/dynamic linking into apps.

It doesn't have any of the "crunchy goodness" of SQL; not only does it
not support stored procedures, but it does not support doing anything
"smarter" than using binary data as keys and values.  But it's small,
runs on all the platforms GnuCash runs on, and is certainly a "zero
administration" database system.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html