Book clsoing [was: Re: Addition of HBCI support, Maturity of 1.7-branch, next stable release time frame?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
16 Apr 2002 10:35:29 -0400

The real problem is that we do not track individual widgets in the
"stock" accounts.  The reason this is _THE_ problem is that everything
else would fall out if it were solved.  Assuming we solve this
problem:

1) when you close a book, you only need to copy the unsold widgets
into the new book

2) it's the time-frame between buying and selling any individual
widget that makes Cap-Gains.  Don't forget that different places have
different cap-gains rules.  For example, in Massachusetts it matters
how long you hold an asset, and you are taxed differently for holding
it for <1, <2, <3, <4, <5 and >6 years!

3) a business "inventory" solution would fall out as well (because you
do need to track individual widgets).

Unfortuately I'm not sure how to really solve this problem, unless you
add information to the "sell a widget" transactions which point back
to the lot(s) that were (partially) sold.

-derek