Tagging additional values on transactions

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
10 Aug 2002 21:59:18 -0400

Conrad Canterford <conrad@watersprite.com.au> writes:

> It is a kind of tax credit. It could be manually entered into the
> transaction by having an extra split on the transaction, and a new
> account "Franking Credits" or some such. I'm not sure that automating it
> is likely to have much applicability outside au.

So it is an offset of the "income" from the dividend?  Yea, this sounds
like instead of having the dividend transaction that looks like:

Dividend
        Assets:MMF         5    $2.00     $10.00
        Income:Dividend                            $10.00

You would have something that looks like:

Dividend
        Assets:MMF         5    $2.00     $10.00
        Income:Dividend                             $5.00
        Income:Franking                             $5.00

Then your total "income" is the sum of the Income:Dividend and
Income:Franking accounts, but you have your Franking amounts,
too.

If this is how is works, then I agree, it should not be automated.