Moving reconciled transactions

Conrad Canterford conrad@watersprite.com.au
12 Aug 2002 08:38:49 +1000

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 00:30, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Note that I don't know what happens if you change the account on the
> 'current' split.  The txn should disappear as soon as you commit it.

It does. It now belongs in a different account, and the refresh causes
it to disappear.

I hope no-one is considering stopping this behaviour. I've found it very
useful in the past when I've wanted to move a whole stack of
transactions from one account to another (or several others). An example
might be where I've just decided that I really need to break a generic
expenses account out into more specific accounts. For example, I might
want to break Expenses:Catering out into Expenses:Catering:Food,
Expenses:Catering:Wages, Expenses:Catering:Subcontract, etc). This is
much easier to achieve from Expenses:Catering, than from the appropriate
asset account they were paid from because some were paid in cash, some
were paid by cheque, etc. (and in any case, from Expenses:Catering its
very easy to see what has been forgotten).

Of course, Derek's comments about the reconciliation flag are very
valid, though in the example mentioned above it would be very irritating
to have to respond to a "This split has been reconciled, Proceed Y/N?"
message for each and every single one.....
Maybe we need a "Bulk Update" mode (or maybe a "Power User" mode) which
could be enabled for a single session that would disable all these sorts
of messages (or, for even better functionality - would ask once for each
account "Proceed Y/N?" and remember that response).

Conrad.
--
Conrad Canterford  (conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au)
Water Sprite Pty Ltd   |  url - http://www.watersprite.com.au/