Quick question about ofx auto-reconcile

gnucash@cbbrowne.com gnucash@cbbrowne.com
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:14:42 -0400

> gnucash@cbbrowne.com writes:
>
> > > Working on the GUI, a came up with this little question:
> > >
> > > Suppose you just downloaded a transaction from your bank.  A check for
> > > example.
> > > -You write it on august 1st, end enter it into gnucash
> > > -The check clears on the 5th
> > > -On the tenth, you download your bank statement, and auto-reconcile that
> > > transaction.
> > >
> > > Should the reconciled date be the 5th or the 10th?
> >
> > You did the reconciliation on the 10th, so that is the "reconciled date."
> >
> > According to the bank, it cleared on the 5th, so that could be an _addition
al_
> > date field to associate with the transaction, but that's not a "reconciled"

> > date.
>
> Should we add a "cleared date" field to Splits?

It's not obvious to me that this is necessarily a terribly useful thing to add.

On the one hand, sure, it's a quasi-meaningful piece of information that might
occasionally be of some interest to someone.

On the other hand, it's an extra bit of data that has to be:
 a) Entered,
 b) Verified,
 c) Added to screens and possibly reports,
and which can
 c) Get Messed Up.

If someone was using GnuCash to support cash management some place where
they've got 500 transactions per day and are downloading data from the bank on
a daily basis to help the reconciliation to be a not _TOTALLY_ preposterous
exercise, then I'm sure the field would be _quite_ useful.

But for Joe Sixpack that isn't sure what a "reconciliation" is, it's an extra
date to have to understand and puzzle over.

I'd say no, at this point.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/nonrdbms.html