Connect currency exchange transactions and pricedb, or not?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
01 Dec 2002 10:56:09 -0500

Christian Stimming <stimming@tuhh.de> writes:

> > 2) The plan to use the pricedb is to store _one exchange rate per
> >    commodity-pair per day_.  In other words, it is _NOT_
> >    per-transaction.  Similarly, the pricedb entries are only used for
> >    display purposes..  The transactions will still contain the exact
> >    same information they do today.  In particular, each Split will
> >    still contain the "amount" (in its account currency) and the
> >    "value" (in the transaction currency).
>
> The part about "txn will contain the same information they do today" sounds
> reasonable to me. I'm not really sure about what it means to store one
> exchange rate per day, and how this is going to be implemented (what if
> several balanced txns have different rates), but it seems we at least agree
> in that the important information will be stored in the transactions only.

Sorry, I "changed my mind" after writing this.  The pricedb has (and
will have) NO EFFECT on display...  The pricedb will only be used to
ease entry of transactions.  The current plan is to have system
"remember" the last price entered for a particular day in the pricedb,
and re-use that exchange rate automatically for additional
transactions that day.

If the user wants to use different exchange rates on the same day,
they will need to manually bring up the dialog to set the (new) rate,
or they will need to remove the entry from the pricedb.

> > If you can come up with another way to deal with imbalanced,
> > multi-split, multi-currency transactions, I'm all ears.
>
> No I don't have a better idea either -- this general case just goes over my
> head :-) . Thanks for the explanation.

It's ok, I figured this one out on my own ;)
The register is not using the pricedb in any way....   Yet.... (it will
use it for split entry soon).