1.7.4 comments

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
02 Dec 2002 15:40:44 -0500

Jonathan Corbet <lwn-gnucash@lwn.net> writes:

> - The business features are a nice step in the right direction.

Thanks.  It's been a long road (on my own) implementing it all...

>        But...why
>   can't I *type* a customer name when creating an invoice?

Because..  Well.. you just can't.  The real reason is that there is no
way to intuit _what_ you want to search for when you type in a name.
I don't want to use a pull-down menu, because I don't want to require
the engine to cache all your customers in ram (imagine a SQL database
with thousands of customers).

If you were to type something, should it search for the name? the id?
the contact?  What if there are no matches?  multiple matches?

I didn't want to go down that route -- so I make you go through the
search dialog.  If you prefer I can make it so you can't even enter
the cell at all (make it insensitive)...  But I figured you might want
to cut-and-paste the name out of the entry.

>         How do I
>   customize the invoice format?  I couldn't even find a way to get my own
>   address information into it, other than, perhaps, via a "logo" image.

You can set your business name via: File -> Preferences -> Business

If you want more customizable invoices, please feel free to submit the
CSS code to handle it.  I'll happily insert it into the code-base.

Thanks!